By William P. Young: The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity

By William P. Young: The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity - -Windblown Media- Zero stars. One of the worst books I have ever read. Borderline blasphemy. The writing is terrible and the theology worse. Mr. Young takes a disturbing premise, wraps it in sentimental language, and then launches into a theology of suffering that is at odds with The Bible. This book can only appeal to those who have not actually read their Bibles. It is in the Bible, by the way, that one may find an excellent book on suffering. It's called Job. God does not comfort Job by coddling him. Job comes face to face with the power, majesty, and glory of God. That is where our comfort lies. The very One who made the universe and all that is in it promises to be our Lord. He promises to accompany us through the fire and flood. Scripture makes it clear that, in this life, suffering must come. But we are never alone in our suffering; God is with us. On the night in which he was betrayed, Jesus tells the disciples "The world will make you suffer. But be brave! I have defeated the world!" Paul counted his sufferings as not worth being compared to the glory that shall be revealed in us, and few in Western cultures can come close to relating to what he suffered. I mentioned borderline blasphemy, and I should provide evidence for that claim. In several passages in the book, Mr. Young claims that the church is a human creation with human rules. This is clearly contrary to Scripture, where Christ Himself establishes the church, calls her His bride, and exhorts her to obey His commands. This is only one of a number of theological shortcomings. The protagonist, for example, is a patricide who never repents of his crime. I can find nothing in this book worthy of recommending it to another person to read. Instead, I recommend that anyone entertaining the idea of reading "The Shack" spend that time reading their Bible.