The Love Chapter: The Meaning of First Corinthians 13 (Paraclete Essentials)

The Love Chapter: The Meaning of First Corinthians 13 - John Chrysostom, Frederica Mathewes-Green The Love Chapter, by St. John Chrysostom *****“The Love Chapter” is a collection of sermons written and delivered by St. John Chrysostom, the 4th century Archbishop of Constantinople. Together, these sermons constitute a profound verse-by-verse exegesis of one of the most famous chapters of Scripture written by St. Paul: I Corinthians 13. In this short chapter St. Paul describes the nature of Agape, the selfless, other-centered love of the Christian for his neighbor. It is easy to read and gives every appearance of being self-explanatory. It is so well known in the Church that it is easy to take it for granted and gloss over it to look for more challenging bits of Scripture. It might even be tempting to think that we have mastered it and that St. Paul is describing our love for others. Through his patient exegesis, St. John carefully unpacks each phrase, forcing the reader to slow down and examine the meaning of the text more thoroughly. In so doing, I discovered how impossible is the task of loving as Paul describes it, and was reminded how desperately in need of God’s grace I am, even as I try to do something as simple as loving another human being. I highly recommend “The Love Chapter.”